Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Monkey with a Nose Like Pinnochio!

One of mom's friends recently moved to Singapore. She is also helping me with my blog and this is very exciting to me to be able to get a photo to post about a real animal in Singapore!

This is a Proboscis Monkey. The only place they can be found in the wild is in Borneo. There are some that live in zoos in other countries, such as in the Singapore Zoo.

These monkeys are on the endangered species list, which is sad, as they are very interesting monkeys. They are most famous for their noses, which grow longer and longer as they get older! They also have very large pot bellies, and make strange honking sounds. My mom's friend said that this particular monkey kept gazing at her with his big beautiful brown eyes, like he wanted to be photographed!

Proboscis Monkeys are threatened with extinction as one of their main predators are humans. People are clearing away their natural habitat making it harder for these monkeys to survive.


I feel sad for these monkeys........I hope they don't become extinct.



Please sign my GUESTBOOK, if you can, thanks!

6 comments:

Emma the Golden Girl said...

and her Mom said,
Thank you for sharing the photo. What a beautiful monkey and what an interesting face. It is so sad to think that such a gorgeous creature is facing extinction.

Daisy said...

I hope they do not become extinct, too. That monkey has a very wise expression in his eyes. And a big nose, too.

Ariel said...

It's sad their threatened with extinction.The monkey in the photo is so cute.

Anna said...

JB this is nice photo of the monkey, we have those in our zoo also, I think, because the nose can never be missed, especially nose like that. Well I was in Singapore once, too bad, I only visited the Jurong Bird Park, the zoo would have been fun. Oh well, may be one day I will be back, but not any time soon. Great post, and thanks for letting us know about these monkeys and their status. Anna :)

A's Journey said...

Nice picture of a furry pinnochio!

I hope also that species doesn't become extinct.

Happy new year JB!

Forty Paws said...

Ya know, that nose looks fairly human to us....

Stoopid beans cause lotz of endangered & extinct species.

Luf, Us