Friday, March 28, 2008

How Are You, Mr. Emu?


My mom saw these big birdies in Aruba! They are called Emus and they are the second largest birdies in the world after ostriches!


These emus live on a farm in Aruba where they are used along with ostriches to educate people about them. Emus are native to Australia, however.




They have shaggy greyish-brown feathers. They have really long legs and their feet have 3 toes facing forward and no hind toe. I think they look like they have mohawk hair-do's!!








The male emu is the one that incubates the eggs......now how about that! This period lasts 55 days. He will not eat, drink, or poop during this time, and only stands up to turn the eggs about 10 times a day! Now that is one dedicated daddy!





Look at how floofy this little baby emu is! I sure would like to snuggle with him!
I like emus, because they are birdies, so again this makes emus some of my favorite friends! I sure have a lot of "favorite friends", don't I?




Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

15 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Wow, those are monster birdies.

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Emus sure have cool hairstyle

~ Girl girl

Angel said...

Wow, you are perfectly right about hair-does and really cool daddies! I feel sorry about these fathers and very glad that they are that dedicated.

Pippa said...

I have never seen any big birds. They look ferocious to me and they only have two legs. I will reserve judgment.

4 Boys and a Lady said...

We agree with girl girl hamster - emu's have cool, funky hairstyles! Normally we want to chase birds, but we'd be scared of this bird if we saw it!

Hana said...

Yep, monster birds! They don't fly, do they? If they did, I'd be worried they would swoop down and take me awayyyyyyy.

I haven't had much to blog about lately. But today my Mom looked out the window and saw 3 horsies across the canyon. She got out the video camera to take a video so I could see them too, but they were so far away that the video didn't turn out too well.

Mickey said...

Those are BIG birds!! They do have funky hair do's too heehee !
I bet we could go for a ride on those fellas :)
Purrs Mickey

Black Cat said...

Fascinating birdies! I feel sorry for the foxes though, like you. I wonder why the zoo doesn't give them a big enclosure? It's so cruel to keep animals cooped up in small spaces:( xxx

Simba said...

oh look the emu has long legs, just like me!!!

Simba (with not short legs, that is Boo) xx

Lorianna said...

They do seem like good daddy's, but they look like they could be pretty grumpy! The babies are cute. I feel sorry for the foxes too. You would think a zoo would know better. Thank you for sharing such cool animals!
Hugs,
Lorianna

Lux said...

Those are the funniest birdies I've ever seen - I like them, though!

Maya and Kena said...

Hi JB!!
Hee hee!! They do have mohawks!!
And we agree, that is a VERY dedicated daddy!!
Wags and licks,
Maya and Kena

Liudmila said...

I like the second portrait! The view is so intence!

Anna said...

Wow these are such a great shots. I am amazed by your photos everytime. Thanks for sharing, Anna :)

Mary said...

Love the head shots! What faces! And that baby is just sooooo cute!