Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sad Swift Foxes

Mom saw these foxes at "Texas Wild" at the Ft Worth Zoo. They are called Swift Foxes. They normally live in the central and southern plains of Texas.....but these two do not!


My mom was sad to see these foxes. They had to be locked up in a really small cage, and could not even run around at all.


They should live in the wild, where they can live by their natural instincts.


They are called "swift" because of their speediness! I am sad for these foxes. I am sure if they were free, then they could be very, very swift!


They spend a lot of time underground in their burrows. Their diet consists of prairie dogs, ground squirrels, mice, rabbits, birds, reptiles, amphibians, berries and seeds.





I would like to snuggle with them to make them feel better......but at second thought, maybe not. Mom told me to be careful, because they might mistake me for a prairie dog and think I was their dinner!


Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

17 comments:

Pippa said...

Mistress doesn't like to see animals caged. She doesn't go to zoos.

They look very nice too.

Pippa

Pippa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JB's Big World said...

My mom hates seeing animals in zoos too, but sometimes that is the only way she can see some of them. It is too bad....that these animals have to live like this.
--JB

Helena said...

Oh they shouldn't be in anywhere small!

Over here (UK) we don't have zoos with small cages anymore, they are all moving towards enclosures- big ones, rather than cages. And they are big and green and bushy, or however the animal needs them. If this means the humans don't get to see the animals because they're too far away, too bad!

This is so sad.... poor wee foxies. I want to cuddle them too!

Hullo JB! I love cats. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. And you look particularly handsome.

Deetz said...

Awe, that is soooo sad about the foxes. I agree, they should be in the wild being swift and having fun. I just love your blog, JB, it is so educational.
Deetzy

Hana said...

The swift foxes are beautiful animals. It is a shame they have to be locked up in a small cage.

Girl Girl Hamster said...

I hope they dont eat me. But they look fluffy cute

~ Girl girl

felinesopher said...

poor foxie.....

fort worth? our mommy is wondering, isnt that a base camp furr army thing?

Mack said...

Oh that is so sad. Why don't they give them bigger cages???

-The Mullin Clan's Mommy- said...

Our mommy likes to see animals in zoos in their natural habitat, not caged. Don't get too close to them, JB, we don't want you to be foxie appetizer!
-Cosmos & Juneau-

Kathryn and Ari said...

That makes me sad, too. Does the zoo not offer natural habitat enclosures? Maybe we could start a letter-writing campaign.

PS- When Ari and I went to Boston Common last year, two college guys thought SHE was a fox. Our friend Turbo is right: humans can be stupid.

Tybalt said...

They are so pretty! I am sad they are not out in the wild where they should be.

Anna said...

JB oh they are so cute, I would probably want to snuggle too, lol. I sometimes too when I see animals confined in cages, makes me sad. BTW on my latest post I linked to your Canada Goose post. Anna :)

4 Boys and a Lady said...

This is very sad. :(

meemsnyc said...

zoos make us sad.

Maya and Kena said...

Hi JB,
That is so sad... how would humans like it if they were locked up in cages?!?!?
Those poor foxes... they are so cute too..
Wags and licks,
Maya and Kena
PS. BOL about your comment on our post.. yes, it was very long!! But the part about Smuckers was really long and took maybe half of it, and that was just a copy and paste. But our mom did have the day off, actually the week. It was Spring Break, everyone here had the week off.

Liudmila said...

But they have beautyful fur... The foxes in the wild are often nacked because have under-skin-parasits that eat fur from inner.