Monday, April 7, 2008

A Gaggle of Geese



It must be goose migration season, because mom saw some more Geese! Mom found these birdies in Longview Texas, recently. They seemed to be "renting" a space on the shore of this peaceful lake near a cemetery.






There appears to be two varieties here and they must be flying back north for the summer.




We are not sure, but this grayish one looks like it could be a type of Bean Goose, though bean geese are seen more in Europe. If anyone knows what kind of goose this is, please let us know.

I will ask my friend, Ari the Canine Naturalist, if she knows what kind of goose this is. (Ari says this could be a Greater White Front Goose!)




This white one could be a Ross's Goose. This is the smallest goose found in North America. These used to be rare but are growing in numbers.







I think that these two geese are discussing their next move. Which direction should they go next? This is a very peaceful, tranquil setting, so they told my mom to tell me that they may stay for a while.


Geese are sort of like people who have winter homes in the south, but live in the north the rest of the year.


Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

13 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

Those are lovely photographs, and the geese are very pretty. They look very comfy there.

Purrs, Sukie X

Angel said...

Your reflections are incredible. And these geese make me think about home... I even can't explain why.

Tybalt said...

Oh, those geesies are lovely, JB!

Mary said...

I hope you find out what that goose is. My sister sent me a picture of the same type of goose from Corpus Christi, TX and wanted me to identify it...which I couldn't. I'm going to steer her to your blog.

Anna said...

JB wow never seen these before, they are so cool. Your photographs are amazing. Anna :)

Sandpiper said...

Beautiful pictures! Your geese look like Greylags, but there are others that are similar, so I'm not sure.
You have a great blog here. Thank you for visiting mine, too.

Kathryn and Ari said...

Hi, JB-
Thanks for thinking of us! Ari and I did a little nosing around. She says she can only identify the geese if you tell her what they do when chased by a juvenile husky. I suggested that wasn't very helpful. My bird fieldguide seems to suggest that they might be Greater White-Fronted Geese. They're from the arctic tundra, but they winter in Texas. Take a look at this website and tell us what you think:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Greater_White-fronted_Goose_dtl.html .

Happy birding!

Kathryn and Ari said...

Hi, JB-
It's us again. We just found a really great page about domestic geese and the greater white fronts. We think it'll help:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domgeese.htm

Maya and Kena said...

Hi JB!
Sorry we haven't been around in a while.. same reason as always!
Those are pawsome pics!! Your humans takes them all right?
And about the frogalicious account comment, it is actually the account of our human sister's friend, we think she furgot to sign out and we didn't know she had created an account... oops! Oh well!
We're off to go see the tag on your small world!
Wags and licks,
Maya and Kena

meemsnyc said...

W O W!! Those are some really big geese!

Ana said...

These are very nice geese. You can be lucky to have all those animals around you. We rarely have birds here... Just flies and mosquitoes :)

Liudmila said...

These last two are maybe in love and the male took his bride for romantic flower-walk...

Deetz said...

Those are such pretty birdies...
Deetz