Saturday, April 26, 2008

These Gulls Look Like They Should Wash Their Faces!

Mom and daddy Len spent a day in Texel, which is the largest of the Wadden Islands in the north of Holland. There is a LOT of nature and LOTS of animals on Texel, which you will see from my upcoming posts! This made me SUPER excited!



My first story from Texel is about the ferry ride from the town of Den Helder across the WaddenSee to Texel.


I am excited to report that I have lots of Seagull birdie friends here! Seagulls are mostly thought of as a nuisance, but I think these birdies are beautiful!






The ones with the dark faces are called Black-Headed Gulls. They are common in Europe, but only found in small numbers in Eastern North America.


They flew directly overhead and very close to mom. My mom is a good reporter and she got some great shots!











These birdies look so graceful. It was very windy and it looked like they were just floating in the air. I wish I knew how to float like this!








But what I really want to know is why do their heads are so dark when their bodies are white? They look like their heads are dirty and they need to take a bath! I bet I could teach them how to take a bath! I am very clean, you know......





There were also Dutch Herring Gulls mixed in with the Black-Headed Gulls. (I will tell you a story about this type of gull in a later post.)


I like these birdies and I am glad they are my new friends!


(P.S. I hope this is not my last post.......my mom is so beyond frustrated with Blogger right now!)


Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

21 comments:

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Hmm... you know, I don't know why the gulls have dark faces... it looks as if they have a mask on. We have no gulls here because we live in the mountains and they like the oceans and the big bodies of water so I hardly ever get to see them. But what fascinating birds!
Please be patient with blogger and don't let it be your last post!!

Maya and Kena said...

Aww.... they're so cute! The ones with the dark faces look kinda like penguins!
We like seagulls!! We play tag with them when we go to the beach, but they always win because they fly above the water, and we're not too crazy about swimming in the waves...
By the way JB, we wanted to thank you fur coming to Kena's Surprise Pawty! She had such a great time, and she wanted to thank you fur being a pawsome guest and fur bringing the niptinis, the kitties loved them!
Wags and licks,
Maya and Kena

Mickey said...

Oooooooooooo,those seagulls with the dark faces are cool! I have never seen any of those. The seagulls here are protected and beans are not allowed to hurt them. That is because they are so good at cleaning up,heehee
Your cousin Minou is quite pretty. I wish I had a nice balcony to lounge on ;)
Purrs Mickey

Babs (Beetle) said...

They are great pictures. When my humans lived in Southern England they used to feed the seagulls. They would come and eat out of their hands! We don't get to sea them much now.

Purrs, Sukie X

Christine and FAZ said...

I like seagulls too, we gets loads where we live in Hastings, in East Sussex. FAZ

Sandpiper said...

Beautiful pictures, JB. They're pretty birds. I'm sure glad you aren't licking your whiskers! ;-)
Tell your Mom that I have problems with Blogger sometimes, too. Just hang in there!

Ariel said...

"Wow" your mom's a great photographer
these photos are beautiful.

Gandalf & Grayson said...

Beautiful Gulls!!

We hope it is not your last post, either, JB. Mom is completely aggravated by WordPress after it completely ate up our .com blog after upgrading. That's why we are back on blogger. :sigh:

Maya and Kena said...

Hi JB!
I'm glad you had a good time at the pawty! The kitties loved the niptinis!! :D Thanks fur sharing them!
And thanks fur the compliment about the pic of me dancing!
Have a great day!
Wags and licks,
Kena

Maya and Kena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn and Ari said...

JB,
Tell your mom we said welcome back from her trip--and no matter how frustrated she feels, she can't LEAVE US! Not when she just got back from that scary vacation!!! No other cat-loving world traveler is as much fun as she is!

Tesla said...

hai!

Can i eat dem birds?!

Hana said...

Wow, those birdies sure flew close to your Mom! I guess they knew she was a reporter!

I saw your comment about how your Mom listens to country music. My Mom does too! Her friend got free suite tickets to a George Strait concert last month for her! And in June, she is going to a Brad Paisley concert! Maybe he will sing his song about ticks.

Huskee Boy said...

Hi JB,
Those pics of the gulls are lovely! Looks like a beautiful day over there..

Pippa said...

They are nice pics JB. We have lots of gulls here too.

Mistress keeps meaning to take pictures of them but hasn't got round to it yet. As usual.

Pippa

Andrea said...

Really great pictures.
You found the right moment for the capture:not easy for moving subjects.

Bye

Deetz said...

Wow, your mum took some awesome photos...She should send those into a magazine. She could win trillions of dollars and buy you all kinds of stuff.
I missed you JB, over the weekend. I am so glad to be back to Monday.
Deetz

Liudmila said...

And we have those white gulls. They are great and disturb other birds. And they are corageous too. We've seen one of them not far from our house. And it's in the mountains about 12 km from see!

Tybalt said...

Those gulls are lovely! I think my mommy needs to take me on a trip to the ocean so I can go gull-watching.

Mary said...

Those are beautiful gulls and tell mom to persevere....Blogger is a real pain at times, but always gets better again eventually.

Angel said...

Seagulls are beautiful and free birds. I always feel sad while looking at them (sorry, I can't even explain why!)