Friday, May 16, 2008

New Found Friend in a Newfoundland Dog!

What is this big black monster coming out of the sea in Volendam in Holland?

Mom told, that is was not a big black monster at all, but it was my new found friend, the Newfoundland Dog! This type of dog was originally used as a working dog in Newfoundland. They can weigh from 100 - 150 pounds!

This kind of dog is not a monster at all. They are known for their sweet dispositions and loyalty and they are experts at water rescue! Do you know why they are excellent at water rescues? They have webbed feet which makes them amazing swimmers!


I think this doggie is trying to do a water rescue of this log!


And he is rescuing this log too!


What fun this dog is having in the water! Can you see his furs flying? Speaking of his furs, an interesting fact is they are water-resistant!


My mom said this water was super dirty and oily from all the ships coming through from the sea. Lots of my doggie friends like to go in dirty water.....I ponder the thought as to why they want to get so dirty. Don't doggies like to be clean like me?

I snuck in a another photo of my mom on Big World Assignment! I am glad mom found me this Big New Found Friend. I like him a lot! I would want HIM to be the one to rescue me, for sure, if I ever needed it!




Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

18 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

That is such a beautiful doggie! Webbed feet! MB didn't know that.

Your mum has a lovely time on her assignments :O)

Purrs, Sukie X

Sparky said...

Why, Jelly Bean... I can certainly answer your question...

To be dirty IS to be clean!

Mwahahahaha!

I hope you have a grrrreat weekend,

Sparky

Angel said...

Hi dear friend ! Have a nice weekend! And Hello to this big black dog!

Mickey said...

That is a nice ,big friend!!! I live in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland is east of there. They are in a different time zone. They are 1/2 hour ahead of us!
Crazy huh?!!
Purrs Mickey

Sandpiper said...

What a wonderful new friend! I love that first picture! Sooooo cute!

meemsnyc said...

I've never seen a dog like that before. Very cute!

Maya and Kena said...

What a cute doggie!!
He looks really strong!!
Wags and licks,
Maya and Kena

Hana said...

I'd like to see his webbed feet!

goldenshade said...

One of the PM's friends had a dog like that. He was the sweetest dog ever but VERY big!

GMG said...

Hi JB! Here I am for the weekly visit… ;)
Great shots! But with all that water the Newfoundland would weight much mote than those 150 pounds... ;)
Thanks for your comment on Blogtrotter, which has now landed in the imperial town of Marrakesh, the Red City!
Hope you enjoy and have a great weekend!

Marilyn MonREOW said...

Oh wow, what a beautiful woofie your new found friend is, and he sounds like such a sweet and brave fellow!

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn.

Charlie Daniels said...

Hey JB,

You are more brave in the water than I am! I just went to the beach and played on the edge - one day I hope to be brave enough to go deeper in.

Charlie

Mr. T-Bone Beasley said...

JB! I think you should swim with him! Or hitch a ride on his back! Satan says hi...she has a crush on you. Don't tell her I told though!

Come check out mine or Chef's blog!!!! It's up! It's time! The Goody Exchange is on! I'm so excited! Help spread the word! This is gonna be the best event ever!

Hehehe, Woohoo! Go team dogs with Blogs!

Slurp!
Mr. T-Bone Beasley

Abby said...

Hi, JB...

I'm back from the Ocean & wanted to say Hi...

I was just at the Ocean, but I didn't go swimming like this big doggies...I kind of ran away from the waves...

Abby xxxooo

Kodak the Eskie said...

Thanks for introducing us to your BIG new friend. I think that log is probably just a stick to him!

Hugs, Kodak

Kathryn and Ari said...

We love Newfies! One lives in our neighborhood, and his humans learned the hard way that they couldn't take him swimming with them: he kept trying to 'save' them!

Molly and Taffy said...

Hi JB

To swim is devine, no matter what the temperature of the water or how dirty or clean it is ...that is quite immaterial. Water is water to us and we just love it.

Molly and Taffy

Emma the Golden Girl said...

and the Canine Kids said,
Toby especially enjoyed the pictures of a fellow newfoundland. They are wonderful dogs and are truly gentle giants. Thanks for sharing the pictures.