Wednesday, May 28, 2008

This Cool Cat Thinks Coots are Cute

Here is the "house" of some of my new friends, the Coots. Mom saw these Coots on her last day in Holland. The adult Coots were taking care of their babies in the nest they built.

The babies were so cute and little, and had multi-colored heads! Sort of like fancy died punk hair-doos!



Their mom kept swimming around the pond bringing back food to feed to them.


Can you see the Coot nest in the middle of the pond? It was a nice peaceful pond. So serene and so calm, until..................


DANGER, DANGER! In swooped a mean Dutch Herring Gull!

Mom tried to distract the Gull from the Coot's nest by feeding it some bread.

He looks like a bit of a shady character, don't you think? His eyes look almost human and his beak looks very sharp and scary to me.....I would not want to run across this fellow by myself!

Finally when the Gull had his fill of mom's bread, he turned his birdie butt on my mom, and went away.

I think my mom helped to save my friends, the baby Coots, for one at least one more day. Otherwise, I am afraid to think of their fate, so unprotected in the middle of this pond!


Thank you, JB's mom, from us baby Coots! Please tell JB, we think she is one Cool Cat and we are glad to be her friend!



Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

19 comments:

Kathryn and Ari said...

We just love Coots, but we've never seen their babies before. Thank goodness JB's mom saved them AND took a few pictures!

Babs (Beetle) said...

Oh such cute birdies. Glad you mum saved them from that gull!

Purrs, Sukie X

Noah the Airedale said...

Your mum is a hero saving those baby coots. They're so cute. Poor little things.

Hugs and tail wags
Noah Willow Tess & Lucy

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Those baby coots are cute. :) Thanks for sharing those pic with us

~ Girl girl

Lux said...

Oh my! I've never seen such beautiful (but sorta scary) birdies!

angelgrotton said...

Oh JB, that's a real pleasure to enjoy such cute babies! THANK YOU

MedaM said...

This is fantastic series of photos, JB. I completely enjoyed in each photo that you posted.

Kodak the Eskie said...

Those baby coots sure are funny looking -- but in a cute way! I'm so glad your mommy saved them by distracting the big mean gull. Whew, that was a close one. Love the pictures!

Hugs, Kodak

Mickey said...

The Coots are neat birds.I have never seen one before! Those Seagulls will go after anything ! Good thing your Mom was there JB!!!
The baby Coots ate cute )
Purrs Mickey

Marilyn MonREOW said...

Oh wow, I'd never heard of coots! They are such cute birdies. I'm glad your Mommy saved the baby coots!

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn.

Huskee Boy said...

Hi JB,
That gull reminds me of the birds from Finding Nemo!!

meemsnyc said...

That seagull looks so menacing. The coot babies are adorable.

Hana said...

JB? So the gull is not your friend? That is the first animal that is not a friend of JB's. I'm not going to be friends with the gull, too. He looks mean.

goldenshade said...

Very cute birds! That gull is not though! What a crank butt!

~Shade

Mary said...

Wonderful pictures of the mom and babies! They are really cute with that fuzz and coloring :-) Glad you saved them for at least one more day.

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Gosh, I can't even get a picture of an adult Coot let alone a baby one! Great shots and I mean that! Everytime I come near a coot they disappear faster than the wind!!
Beautiful new friends you have here JB!
Rocky Mountain Retreat

GMG said...

Hi JB! Sorry for the speedy visit! I’ve been busy the whole last week and will be out in the next, so this is far less than your blog deserves… ;(( But I promise I’ll come back with more time after June 10th, at least…
However, to avoid leaving you deserted, I published a last post on Marrakesh 2006 at Blogtrotter. ;)) Enjoy!

Emma the Golden Girl said...

and the Canine Kids said,
We are so glad your Mom saved the baby coots. We had never seen a coot before and they are adorable.
We sure hope that gull goes somewhere else.

Liudmila said...

What beautiful photos are these! It was the great fortune to have the possibilitz to make them! How cute!