Monday, September 29, 2008

Sliding Around in Scottsdale

My mom went to Scottsdale Arizona a couple of weeks ago, and she had her Big World Assignment hat on. She stopped by Chaparral Lake to see if she could find me any new friends. You can see her in the reflection on the sign if you look closely!

The lake was a beautiful setting.

And mom found me a turtle friend! We think this is a Red-Eared Slider Turtle, but his shell sure looks awfully dirty! Maybe there is too much sludge in this beautiful lake for him to stay clean?

Red-Eared Slider Turtles like to spend most of their time in water, but also love to bask in the sunshine. I personally don't like water, but I like sunshine just as much as my new Turtle friend does!

Red-Eared Sliders are shy and they got their name because they have red ears, and they frantically "slide" off their sunbathing spots when approached.

And going back to the sign at the top of this post, this lake is part of a fishing program in Scottsdale, and there are LOTS of fish here! Mom tried to ask the fish if they wanted to be my friends, but they were "in school" and could not come out to talk to mom before recess.

Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

16 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

Wow! That is a lot of fishies!
I wouldn't want to get too close to the turtle. I think they nip!

Purrs, Sukie x

Deetz said...

Who would have thought that fish would have to go to school? I wonder what they teach school fish?
Deetzy

Kodak the Eskie said...

Wow, there are lots of fishies in that lake! I would love to chase them. Very cool turtle pictures.

Hugs, Kodak

Hana said...

If the fish are being educated in school, they are probably smart enough to know that being friends with you is a smart thing to do!

Are those fingernails on the turtle's left paw?

angelgrotton said...

what beautiful place. tons of small fish, like a fish spa. cooool!

snowforest said...

Jelly Bean your blog is so informative and cool - we enjoy it everytime we visit it ~ that turtle has a long neck..

Hana said...

I just looked closer at Mr. Turtle's shell. It sure looks slimy.

meemsnyc said...

Wow, what a beautiful lake and what a cool turtle!

Liudmila said...

Oh, I wanted to sit there on the sun near that tourtle, with that fishes. What a beautiful day!

Kathryn and Ari said...

ooooooooooh! We love turtles!

Ariel said...

Great photo and cute turtle :)

Girl Girl Hamster said...

That's a nice turtle. :)

~ Girl girl

Huskee and Hershey said...

LOL... Yes yes, I bet you can't interrupt the fishes cos they are always 'in school'!!
That turtle really needs a bath and some serious scrubbing..

Marilyn MonREOW said...

Oh, those fishies look delishies! *giggle* And what an interesting turtle. I've never met a turtle before!

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn.

Butchy & Snickers said...

Hey Jelly Bean,
Your turtle friend is neat. We get those here in Iowa. Sometimes they come to our pond & stay for the summer, then they leave for the river in the Fall. They even had baby turtles once. Mama wishes they would stay all of the time, but they don't.
Hmmmm, wonder if our Koi fishies go to school?? better go ask Mama, hehehehe.
Have a great weekend!
Luv & Wirey Hugs!
Butchy, Snickers & Ruby

Anna said...

...oh and I can see Canada Geese, lol. Great shots, Anna :)