Saturday, September 27, 2008

Uh Oh, Armadillos!

Do you remember when I was scared of these Armadillos in my backyard at my old house? We still have a ton of them living there, and yes, we still own that house because it has not sold yet! I kept telling my mom about seeing the Armadillos at night, but we never got to take a picture of one.

That is, until our old neighbors started to trap them recently!! Our neighbors were so fed up with the holes being dug under their houses, that they got serious and put out traps! (FYI, No Armadillos were harmed in this process, because they were trapped and then brought to the Texas/Oklahoma border and set free.)

So here you can see a REAL Armadillo! He is a Nine-Banded Armadillo. Armadillos are expert diggers and dig for grubs and also dig themselves dens! They have poor eyesight, but are not completely blind like rumor has it.

Did you know that when they are surprised, they jump straight up in the air? If near traffic, they can collide with cars' undercarriage, which has bad consequences.

I am not so scared of this Armadillo because he is in a cage......but Guess What?? I have seen them at night at our new house too! Mom's flowers better look out!

Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

14 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

Ooooh! What a funny looking creature! I think I would be very scared of one of those, if I saw it!

Purrs, Sukie x

Lacy said...

w00f's JB, me not skeered, me will protect u...

b safe,
~rocky~

Pippa said...

I don't think we have those here JB.

GMG said...

Hi JB! Here I am to enjoy your lovely blog on my weekly visit!
And this week we have again some wonderful pictures. Amazing things we learn in blogosphere... ;)
Look forward to reading you at Blogtrotter, now back in Chania!
Have a great weekend!

the 4 Bs said...

hi JB, we have never seen an armadillo before. that's a funny looking creature. do they only come out at night?

woofs.

Noah the Airedale said...

Crikey what a strange creature. We definitely don't have those here. Why do they have to be released on the Texas/oklahoma border?

tailwags
Noah Willow Tess Lucy

Sunny,Scooter,Jamie said...

We have those critters all over everywhere don't we. They sure can tear up a yard. I have only ever known one dog who could penetrate their armour after they roll up. He was a huge Doberman and it took all he had to crack a shell. But cars, well, they take em out. These and skunks must be our #1 roadkill.
Hugs
Sunny&Scooter(still tryin to catch up)

Quasi said...

We don't have those here in California. They don't steal your food, do they?

Hana said...

Armadillos have hard shells, yes? Armour? I could see that being a problem if they get caught under a moving car!!! I wonder how your neighbor lures the armadillos into the cage. Does he put peanut butter in the cage?

Kathryn and Ari said...

They are strange little creatures, aren't they? Do you think the ones taken to the border prefer Texas or Oklahoma?

angelgrotton said...

what a fantastic creature, love it ))))

Sunny's Mommy said...

That is scary! I've never seen one, but I'd freak if I saw an armadillo jump straight up :-0 Oh my!

Liudmila said...

What an interesting animal! I thought they live only in sud America...Thank you for this photo, it's incredible to see it sooo.

Anna said...

Oh JB if I had those on my backyard, I would be scared, lol. Anna :)