Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lost & Found in the Desert

Here is the rest of my mom's Big World Assignment from Arizona. Mom and daddy went to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix the last day of their trip.

It was super hot there and mom almost passed out......on Big World Assignment!


At the entrance of the park, was a sign for some missing animals! I think I had seen something similar to this on the back of a milk carton in our fridge!
My mom went in to the park to try to find them for me to see if they would be my friends.

The first animal she found was this Western Whiptail Lizard!

The Western Whiptail Lizard is a very shy Lizard. If a predator tries to attack him, he drops his tail! The tail will flop around and distract the predator so the Lizard can get away. Wow! This lizard must dropped part of his tail sometime, because I see he has a bit of a stub now!

Mom also saw Desert Quails. Now, according to the entrance sign, these Quails were not missing, but mom found them anyway! Mom and daddy had to sit on a bench for a long time to catch a shot of this Quail, because they also were very shy. A sad fact, is that Arizonians are allowed to hunt these Quails in the open desert.......but thankfully, not at this park.

Last, but not least, mom got a shot of this Gila Woodpecker who had built a nest inside this Saguaro Cactus! Now I have heard of humans using barb wire for security, but this is ridiculous! This is definitely No Place Like Home for me!

Mom had to report back to me that some of the animals were still lost, but the ones that she found, were happy to be my friends!


Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

13 comments:

Lacy said...

w00f's JB, cool animals ur mama finded...dat cactus thingy looks like it comed outta the skeery movie "jeepers creepers"...

b safe,
~rocky~

Babs (Beetle) said...

That's a cute lizard JB. If I found his tail I would enjoy playing with it, I think.

Purrs, Sukie x

Noah the Airedale said...

That woodpecker is going to get spiked if it's not careful...cripes!

tailwags
Noah xx

Deetz said...

How exciting finding more and more friends. You gots some cool friends Jb. I really liked the lizard one.
Deetzy

Hana said...

I am somewhat glad that the snake and bee are still missing. I say let someone else find them. That is interesting the woodpecker built his nest in the cactus! That is some security system! But, you are right. That is No Place Like Home for me, too!

Glad you made some new friends, JB!

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Thanks fur visiting!

As fur liking khats -

Well, I love them - just like most Siberians do!

Nice pikhs on your post! My Aunti Di lives in Phoenix - we khan't figure out why!!!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Ariel said...

Great photos.My mom loves lizards she thinks their cute :)

Mary said...

Those are great! Arizona is definitely different and full of creatures I don't see at home. A nice place to visit....but I don't want to live there in that heat!

Kathryn and Ari said...

How fabulous! I used to live in Phoenix--it's so beautiful there!

Huskee and Hershey said...

Hi JB,
My mom fell off her seat when she saw the lizard.. I think it's cute but my mom is terrified of lizards! Heehee..

Mr. T-Bone Beasley said...

JB!!!!

I wish you would have told my human that your mom was in Arizona! I live there! I could have like sent Linus back with you mom and you could have a new brother or something!!!

I hope your Mom had a great stay in AZ! It's all desert like and stuff here...

Hehehehee!

Slurp!
Mr. T-Bone Beasley

angelgrotton said...

what a nest! lol! And I like the lizard as well!!!

Anna said...

JB amazing adventure, love all photos, and the last one if you did not mention the woodpecker, I thought that the cactus looked like some kind of creature with a big black eye, lol. Anna :)