Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sad Story About Chile Dogs

Today I have a sad story to report out of Santiago, Chile. My daddy flew there recently on Big World Assignment and brought me this report about Chile Dogs.

Santiago is not a real clean city. The Mapocho River runs through the city and carries unfiltered household, industrial and agricultural waste. You can see the Andes Mountains in the background through the haze of the city.

Another thing you will see in Santiago is all the stray Dogs. There are hundreds of them. My daddy noticed that they appeared to be very street smart. They would wait with people at busy intersections, and when it was safe and people started walking, they walked too!

They are very well mannered Dogs, and are not to be feared. They wait patiently for scraps of food at restaurants, but will rarely bother you when you are eating.

Sometimes some of the Dogs will not make it, however. The following photo is a very sad image and I debated whether to post it.

This black and white Dog appeared to be dying on the sidewalk right near a busy street. He had a wound in his neck that looked like he had been in a fight. He had nobody to help him, and no real chance to survive.

The sight of the last Dog made my daddy very sad. So the next day he took a drive to try to forget what he saw, and he made his way up to the Andes Mountains......

I am sad to report this story, but felt the Chile Dogs should get some publicity. I wish I could help all the homeless animals in the world find forever homes, but I am just one small Jelly Bean. I am praying for the safety of the Chile Dogs.

We can all help homeless animals by donating to our local animal shelters. Every little bit counts.


Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

22 comments:

Mary said...

It is sad in any country to see animals that are unwanted and left to roam. We all need to care more about making sure we don't add to the "strays" out there. Unfortunately, those reading your blog are not the people who need to get the message! I wish every animal could have a home.

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

I wish every animal could have a lovely home. Look at the picture of a dog dying on the street saddenned my heart.
Do you know in some countries, they still kill dog to eat not because they lack of food but they see dogmeat just like beef or pork, only better taste, ewhhh!
Hugs

Babs (Beetle) said...

Oh that is awful! It wouldn't happen here, because dogs are never allowed to roam the streets. They would be taken by the RSPCA. I don't know what happens to them long term though. My sister got her dog from there.

Lacy said...

w00f's JB, it is sooo very sad...we r the lucky ones...warm bed, good food and all the love we will ever need...my wish iz all furkids cood have that kinda life..

b safe,
~rocky~

Noah the Airedale said...

Thats so sad JB. My pinkys would be sad seeing homeless dogs too. I don't know how the people in those places can bear it.
The Andes are absolutely beautiful though.

tailwags
Noah

Whicky Wuudler said...

Thank you for posting about the dogs of Chile. It's so sad that so many animals have to try and survive on the street. If every person did just one thing in their lives to help an animal the world would be a much better place.

judith said...

Such a sad story.The world is full of suffering, but there is a lot of good in it too. We must all work together to make sure that the good bits thrive and the bad and cruel bits are finally wiped out.

Huskee and Hershey said...

OMdoG.. That is soooo sad. That poor poor doggie.. It's just so unfair. I guess we must count our blessings that we have a roof over our head, warm meals and humans who adore us.

angelgrotton said...

I can't stand it! oh, porr doggies (((( It is really unfair and awful. We should help them!!!!

Deefor said...

Thank you for telling us about this. The doggies in Chile have a hard time. I feel bad being so fussy about my treats! It is sad. We all have to help animals everywhere get better treatment.

Deefor

p.s. Thanks for visiting me!

Deetz said...

I think you made the right decision, JB, to post that picture. Sometimes we must see the reality to appreciate the forever homes that we have, food, snackies, warm beds, and a roof over our heads. I am thankful for this. I truly wish we could save all our furry friends.
This was very sad, but, I think it needed to be told and I am sorry you had to report such a tragedy.
Deetzy

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Oh no, those poor doggies. I wish there is a nice furever home for every doggie

~ Girl girl

the 4 Bs said...

oh JB, that's so sad. we wish we could help these dogs.

sad woofs.

Pippa said...

That could have been me if I hadn't rescued master and mistress.

Anna said...

JB this is such a sad story, thanks for letting us know :(. BTW the landscape view of the Andes Mountains is amazing. Anna :)

Hana said...

The poor Chile Dogs. They are so street smart, but their situation is so sad. We should all count our blessings.

goldenshade said...

That is sooooo sad, JB. That is not the type of life that these sweet creatures deserve.

Kathryn and Ari said...

Oh, JB, that last photo made us so sad. We hate the idea of that poor dog dying alone on a street side. Ari's going to get an extra hug before bed tonight.

GMG said...

Hi JB! Sorry for the delay in coming here, but these last weeks have been hectic; no, I’m not talking about the financial/economic crisis… ;))
Loved to re-visit Santiago through your Dad's eyes! Great shots!
Meanwhile Blogtrotter is now on its 200th post: «The Libyan Sea»! Hope you enjoy! Have a great weekend!

Jim Gerl said...

Hi,

I just voted for your excellent blog for the Bloggers Choice Awards.

Could you please return the favor at:
http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/21620



Thanks,



SpEdLaw2
http://specialeducationlawblog.blogspot.com

Pedro said...

JB,

My mom says she knows what you mean. Sometimes she gets so overwhelmed trying to help animals. Her sister tells her she can't save every animal out there but my mom feels it like a heavy weight on her shoulders. She cries when she sees dead animals in the street and gets really angry when people don't treat animals like important members of their family. When she was a child she used to go fishing with her dad but can't do it now because she couldn't kill the fish. She worries about animals suffering and in pain. She hates hunting. She won't even kill spiders. She doesn't know how it went this far but she can't help it. She thinks animals are innocent and should be protected from cruelty. Oddly enough though, she is not a vegetarian... Go figure...

Pedro

Cat with a garden said...

My human stayed in Guadalajara, Mexico several months and gladly they didn't have many stray animals there. It is furry bad in Spain and Italy already, where people don't care about the "wild" animals and will hurt them deliberately. It is furry good that you shared your dad's experience!
Purrs, Siena