Saturday, November 29, 2008

Going Batty

My mom and daddy went to Carlsbad Caverns National Park in New Mexico a while ago.

They saw lots of stalactites and stalagmites and underground rock formations.....like these:










But what was really interesting and quite batty was what lived inside this cave entrance!

Somewhere around 400,000+ Mexican free-tail bats live inside this cave from about April to October! Every night at dusk, all the bats fly out of this cave in a big wave, and come out and eat insects. They eat about 3 tons of insects EVERY NIGHT!

The bats look something like a smoke plume like this when they leave in such large numbers!

The bats fly south to Mexico for the winter, so they are gone now. These bats are a little bit creepy, but they are animals and animals are my friends.

I was glad to learn about my new Batty friends! Hope you find your way back to New Mexico in April!

Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

14 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Khool!

During the summer if we take our walk khloser to dusk, the little sukhkers like to watch us!

Maybe I khan get them to take khare of this skhwirrely things!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Lacy said...

w00f's JB and all, hmm JB, watch out fur ur new friends, wont they suck ur blood...dats what me hearded...and yes me voted fur Bear..

b safe,
~rocky~

the 4 Bs said...

hi JB, eeewwwwww for bats. we aren't sure we want to be friends with bats. they look kinda creepy and scary and evil. are you sure they're okay to be friends with?

woofs.

Spooky said...

Hmmm...they sort of look like birdies, but I don't think I'd like them as well.

Thanks for the lesson about these critters, JB!

Babs (Beetle) said...

Bats look a bit scary but MB says they are sweet creatures really. I don't know about that!

Purrs, Sukie x

Dannan and The Girl said...

Hi, JB! Thanks for stopping by my bloggy!

I think this bloggy is really cool! I don't know much about other animals, so I'm going to learn a lot!

I am going to head over to your Small World now and see what it's like!

brown dog kisses,
Dannan

Rupert said...

I see these mice with wings at my house from time to time.

I am able to catch the baby ones. They are crunchy and delicious!

Paws 'n Claws,
Rupert

Dino and Family said...

Thanks for sharing about the bat cave. I am terrified of bats. I have not seen any in Taipei yet. Love, Dino

Liudmila said...

Batts are very sympatic animals. Specially when they fall you in the hairs... :)))

-The Mullin Clan's Mommy- said...

Kool pic of the bat, JB. R mommy looked at it & said the EWWWWWW word.

-da boys, Cosmos & Juneau-

Kathryn and Ari said...

We love, love, LOVE bats!

I once read that they always exit their cave by flying to the left. Do you know if that's true?

Mary said...

Caves are always so interesting! Bats are interesting too as long as they keep their distance :-)

Anna said...

JB excellent, but I hate to tell you I am not into bats, lol. Anna :)

Pedro said...

My mom went here with her parents when she was in high school but she had to wait in the camper cause she's claustrophobic and couldn't go in!

Pedro