Friday, November 21, 2008

Katy Did!

My mom and daddy have not been on Big World Assignment much lately, so I had to get my brother, Bear, to help me out to see if he could find any animal friends for me in our backyard.

Bear came running in the house the other day and yelled: "Katy did! Katy did!" I said: "Katy did what and who is Katy?"

And Bear said: "No, silly.......Katydid! I found a Texas Bush Katydid on my water bottle! He wants to be your friend!"

Katydids are known for their unique sounds they make. Please click the following to hear a Katydid:
16 s of fast-pulsed song [1.38MB]; male from Alachua Co., Fla.; 24.8�C. (WTL062-36a)

n. Fla. seasonal data.; References: Spooner 1964.; Nomenclature: OSFO2 (Orthoptera Species File Online)

Thanks to my brother, Bear, for this Big World report. Bear normally eats my backyard friends, so I am glad he spared this new friend, so I could meet him!


Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

15 comments:

Sunny,Scooter,Jamie said...

Oh. Mom loves Katydids!! What a good picture of one!
Hugs
Sunny&Scooter

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

Those are pretty! We don't have any of those up here!

Noah the Airedale said...

We have never heard of katydids before. We thought that was a grasshopper. We're so silly lol.

tailwags
Noah x

Catzee said...

Bug! Bug! I luv bugs! But Mom won't let me play wif these. Is it acuz they're green?

Dino and Family said...

LOL! Those are nice shots of Katy! Love, Dino

Rupert said...

That katydid looks DELICIOUS!

I love me some bugs, but lizards are even better!

But of course, mice are the BEST.

Babs (Beetle) said...

What's a Katydid? It looks like a grasshopper to me but what do I know? You are so clever JB you must be right.

Purrs, Sukie x

Lacy said...

w00f's JB and sisters, me like to chase katydids...did u ever hear from deetz, me iz really worried bout his mama now...

b safe,
~rocky~

the 4 Bs said...

hi JB,

that's a weird looking bug. we don't have anything like that in our backyard. it sounds like Bear is helping you now, maybe you are accepting him???

woofs.

Liudmila said...

I've never seen this one. It seems to me a hybrid of all that we have here. In any case I don't like insects and would never take one of them as my friend!

Molly and Taffy said...

We do tend to chase bugs. Our hooman loves it when we eat the spiders.

Molly and Taffy

Mary said...

Really good Katydid shots!

Anna said...

Oh JB that's sounds like me too! It is amazing how much there is on the backyards, lol, excellent shot though, very nice details JB. Anna :)

Deefor said...

That thing looks huge. I hope it doesn't bite.

Deefor

Kathryn and Ari said...

Happy Thanksgiving, JB!