Sunday, January 18, 2009

Now That's a Lot of Horns!

Everyone is probably tired of me talking about the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glen Rose, Texas, so this post will wrap up the introductions of my new friends from this Big World Assignment.
The Giraffes in my last post were pretty snooty, but the rest of these guys were very friendly!

Whose eye does this belong to?

It belongs to an Aoudad, or Barbary Sheep, the only African wild sheep.

Here is the Blackbuck, native to India and Pakistan.

And this is the Arabian Oryx, on the endangered list, and was extinct in the wild in 1972, but now has been reintroduced in Oman, Jordan and Saudia Arabia.

I think this is a Silka Deer, and it is native to Eastern Asia.

Ok, some of these guys were just a tad bit too friendly! This is an Addax, and his distinctive feature is that he looks like he is wearing a "toupee"!

These cute little white and brown guys are Scimitar-Horned Oryx. Their coloring provide perfect desert camoflage in the wild.

What a big rack this is! This is a variety of Fallow Deer.

And last but not least, #612 is a Blesbok. Their numbers in the wild were in danger, but thankfully are successfully recovering.

I hope you enjoyed meeting my new Horned friends. I know I did!


~~~~~In loving memory of my sister, PooPoo~~~~~

Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

18 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

That's a lot of creatures with big horns!

Guess what? MB has been waiting, between posts, to put a creature up with big horns too! She was going to do it today and forgot!

Purrs, Sukie x

meemsnyc said...

Awww, they are all so cute! Are they friendly enough to pet?

Grrreta said...

Those are some great pictures of some very interesting creatures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

We're so sad to hear about PooPoo. We will really miss her.

Stellaluna said...

In the first picture I though it was a lion, hee hee

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

I saw LOTS of horns!

Beep Beep!

Nice tribute to your sister PooPoo -

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Hana said...

The fallow deer sure have a heavy load to carry on their heads! Since they are used to heavy loads, maybe your new friends could give you a ride sometime!

Hana said...

Oops... I re-read my post. I didn't mean to imply you are heavy, JB! I just meant you could hitch a ride with them sometime.

THE ZOO said...

they shure do hafe a lot of horns. that must gife them lots of headaches.

Teddy Bear said...

Wow, that is a lot of horns. I'm glad that they aren't snooty like the giraffes!

Love,
Teddy Bear

Liudmila said...

I don't know about horns, but they have incredibly eye-liners... So impressive eyes!

Kodak the Eskie said...

I am so sorry that your sister passed away. It is heartbreaking to lose a furbaby.

Hugs, Kodak

PeeS: Those are some sharp horns!

Babs (Beetle) said...

The horns are up, on my photo blog :O)

Black Cat said...

Lots of sheep, goats and Vishus Deer! Be careful of the Vishus Deer JB darling, they like to eat Juicy Young Cats like you! If you don't believe me, ask Skeezix!

I'm surprised the giraffes were snooty. The ones I've met have all been mega-friendly and liked to lick with their long, black, wet tongues!

I'm so sorry about PooPoo. She had a good life in your home. In spite of her issues, your Mom loved and understood her and now she will be free of all her problems and happy at the Bridge, watching over you all lovingly. xxx

Dino and Family said...

Woohoo! Another great series of big animal photos! I don't want it to be the last! I hope we will still get to see more stunning photos from you! Love, Dino

happy said...

Nice horns! Where can I get one?

the 4 Bs said...

hi JB, those are a lot of horned friends you have. your photographer did a good job. we aren't sure we would like to play with those friends. they are a little bit scary.

woofs.

Mary said...

Terrific eyeball and love all those twisty horns! I'm sorry about PooPoo.

Anna said...

JB wow these are horns.
I really like the first photo, is that you inside the eye?
Anna :)