Saturday, January 3, 2009

A Whopper of a Tortoise!

Still reporting from the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center, in Glen Rose, Texas. Here we have a whopper of a Tortoise! This is called an African Spurred Tortoise. It is the third largest species of Tortoise found on mainland (not on an island).
In the wild it lives in the southern part of the Sahara desert, in northern Africa. Did I mention it is a whopper of a tortoise? It can grow to over 200 pounds!!
They can also live to be up to 80 years old! Below is a sign from the Wildlife Center with some more interesting facts about this Tortoise:
I think this is the slowest friend my mom has found for me yet. I wonder if I would look cute riding on top of the shell of this Tortoise? I bet I would, but it would have to be when I was not in a hurry to get somewhere, for sure!

Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

16 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

Maybe I khould pull woo two?

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Noah the Airedale said...

I'd say that tortoise is definitely the slowest friend you've made. Thanks for the interesting post JB.

tailwags
Noah x

Grrreta said...

A 200 lb tortoise...that's ginormous.

Babs (Beetle) said...

MB says she loves tortoises. She had a pet one when she was little, and he was called Benny :O)

I have got some lovely photos going up soon, that you would like JB.

Angel said...

Hey, JB, I think we are neighbors! I am just a plain-o kittie! Mom has wanted to go to Fossil Rim for a lomg time, but can't get Dad motivated!

Angel said...

It's me again! It looks like your Mom and Dad like to travel! do you get to go to?

THE ZOO said...

thats sum biiig tortoises. yoo shuld definitaly ride one but it'll take yoo a loong tyme ta get where yooo going.

Mary said...

What a whopper....JB, you do find the most interesting friends! I'd say it is big enough for you to lie on top and have a nice long nap while it walks around.

Pippa said...

We had some baby tortoise friends, but one ran away and the other one went to sleep. I think it was because my naughty dog friend Prince ate all his food.

Hana said...

One would not want Santa Paws flying around delivering presents with tortoises because then they'd never get presents delivered!

meemsnyc said...

Ooooh, that tortoise is super cool!! So big!

Liudmila said...

One of my friends has them as her pets. Not these big onces, smaller. She tells incredible stories about their behaviour.

Kathryn and Ari said...

Wow. That tortise is big enough to carry a canine naturalist. Hey, that gives us an IDEA!

Teddy Bear said...

Hi JB! It's great to meet you!. Yes, I love cats! How old is your brother (Teddy) Bear? Do you get along well?

Anna said...

JB wow he looks old and wise :).
Anna :)

Dino and Family said...

LOL! You made me laugh again! I think tortoises are great! You can sit on it and I put the tortoise on my back and we will go places together! Love, Dino