Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Sacred Bird!

Also on mom's Big World Assignment from Las Vegas, was this report on the Sacret Ibis, who she met at the Flamingo Hotel!

Sacred Ibis have beautiful feathers on their whole body except their neck and head, where they have black featherless skin!

This adaptation has happened since they like to dip their heads into marshy wetlands and mud flats to search for food.

I am certainly glad my food gets served to me on a dish in my kitchen, so I don't have to search for my fishy dinner this way!

They are thought of as sacred, back from the ancient days in Egypt, from eating locusts and saving crops.

I like my new sacred birdie friends!

Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by my SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

14 comments:

Angel and Kirby said...

You have a lot of very special friends!

The Kool-Kittie-Krew said...

Wow JB! Those birds are really BIG! They could probably eat US for dinner...YIKES! It's best we just look at pictures of them, instead of in person.

Reese =^..^= said...

Those are very cool!

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

There sure interesting birdies!

Tank woo fur sharing them!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

meemsnyc said...

Those birds are GORGEOUS. Wow.

Deefor said...

Nice pictures. They are really wild looking birds. I'm glad I get fed too.

Deefor

Teddy Bear said...

Thank you for teaching us about the Sacred Ibis. I'm thankful that we don't have to hunt for our food. If we had to I have a feeling we'd be just fine.:)

Love,
Teddy Bear

Liudmila said...

Ohhh!!!!! They are much more beautiful as I thought! Never have seen them so closly.

Hana said...

It's a shame they have black furless skin while the rest of their body has fur, um, I mean feathers. But, if it helps them eat, then so be it.

My Mom says she likes lots of fur, but it is hard to brush through, so maybe furless is good, too. I got a bath today. She knows what she's talking about because it's really hard brushing me out.

Grrreta said...

That's a very interesting and pretty birdie. Thanks for introducing us to your new feathered friend.

Anna said...

Hey JB thanks for sharing the Ibis story. Last time I was in Vegas, I saw lions on display. They were such a spectacular animals. Excellent photos as always JB. Hope all is well. Anna :)

Black Cat said...

I've known about the Sacred Ibis for years, but never knew before that their heads and necks were bald! That is so interesting and thanks for sharing!

Thanks too for your lovely message. Too many friends have died recently... xxx

Maya and Kena said...

JB!
Hello! We´ve missed you! SOrry we´ve been gone so long! But now we´re back (we missed you all so much). We´re going to try to blog at least once a month now!
Wow! The Sacred Ibis looks really cool! Ancient Egypt has always been really interesting for us!
Sniffs and kisses,
Maya and Kena

tagskie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.