Saturday, September 19, 2009

Two Toes & Some Algae!

Today I would like to present a very interesting new animal friend also from Costa Rica. It is the Two-Toed Sloth!
This mama Sloth and her baby were hanging out up in a tree, right outside of mom's hut in the Tortuguero rainforest.

This Sloth has two toes or actually two claws so they can easily hang from the tree canopy.
They are very lethargic and move very slowly. They eat various tree leaves, and digest their food very slowly.

And guess what? They only come down to the ground once a week to poop! Just think how much less litter my mom would have to buy for my litter box, if I was like a Sloth!

The mama Sloth will teach her new baby what to eat for a few months, and then will leave the baby on it's own to learn how to fend for itself.
This Sloth also has specialized fur that enables algae to grow in it, which helps in camouflaging them. I sure am glad my furs are pristine and are algae-free! Algae is not for me!

Thanks mom, for finding me these new interesting Sloth friends!

Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK, and stop by JB's SMALL WORLD too, thanks!

9 comments:

missbreezysbox said...

I sent a friend request on Facebook. I already follow on Twitter. Breeze will have a fan page soon. Very cute sloths. Thank you for the education on them.

The Kool~Kittie~Krew said...

Oh our Mom LOVES Sloths! They are super kyute and slow! Thanx for the info on them. Mom is sure envious of your mom and all her her pawesome animal encounters!!! We hoping you're having a fun "Meow Like A Pirate Day"!!! ARGH...

Teddy Bear said...

The Sloth seems like a very cool animal! Thank you for sharing all those fun facts about them.

Love,
Teddy Bear

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

It is always khool to see videos of them
m



o



v



e


Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Angel and Kirby said...

That is a lot of info on the sloth! !

Pippa said...

I wonder if my Misery Mistress is a sloth in disguise.

Although she doesn't hang around in trees.

Perhaps those sloths know my monkey friends here in Gib?

Anna said...

JB that is one interesting animal, lol. Looks very lazy too me, sometimes I feel like that too. Hope all is well my friend, Anna :)

Momo and Pinot said...

JB!! Sloths are kinda cool... a different from us, kitties and doggies!

Momo & Pinot

Jenny said...

Wow. I am jealous. Beautiful pictures and to see them all up close.

It looks like a great trip!

Jenny
Poochieheaven