Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Can I Pop It, Mom?

The next island that mom went to on her Big World Assignment to the Galapagos Islands was North Seymour Island.

What kind of birds are those and what is that red balloon I see behind those branches? 

Can I pop it, mom?  Can I?  Can I?
I found out that I probably should not pop it.  
These birds are Magnificent FrigateBirds, and this red pouch becomes puffed up like this on the males when they are in breeding season and trying to impress the LadyBirds.

When not puffed up it looks like this.
Purrsonally, I would still like to pop it.

The females have different coloring and don't have red pouches because they don't need to impress the males!

 Mom said that the animals in the Galapagos Islands were so unafraid of humans, especially on this particular island.  Mom almost stepped on this Land Iguana!

Even little birdies, like this Yellow Warbler, were unafraid.  All the animals and birdies came right up to my mom and said they wanted to  be my friends!

Ok, mom, these are great new friends, but where are the BOOBIES?  I want to see the Blue Footed BOOBIES!

Before you go, please sign my GUESTBOOK here, and stop by JB's SMALL WORLD too, thanks! 

7 comments:

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Oh yes!

We were promised BFB's!

Bring 'em on!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Angel and Kirby said...

Your Mom always has wonderful adventures. She introduces us all to so many of your new friends!

Teddy Bear said...

Wow, the red balloon bird is pawesome and so is the Yellow Warbler. Thank you so much for sharing.:) We love seeing all the photos from your Mom's big world assignment.

Love,
Teddy Bear

Laila said...

Those birds are absolutely awesome. I really want to see birds like that too. I love bird watching and taking photos of them. I love your blog too!!!



dog crates

meemsnyc said...

Oh wow, what cool looking birds and animals! I want to pop that balloon thingy of a bird too.

Anna said...

Pop it, lol, may be not! I saw those on the picture before, some amazing creatures. You really experiencing the wonders of nature JB. Thanks for sharing, Anna :)

Prints the Cat said...

That's interesting the male magnificent frigate birds poof up to impress the females. I wonder if size matters?

Thanks for your very informative reports. JB, your blog is always very educational!